This is my “Wikipedia contrail” — the list of pages in Wikipedia I’ve
been to in the last week or two, according to my browser history. There isn’t a whole lot of random
browsing around (which is what would make it a contrail, I
guess), but the breadth amused me.
- Mythology and fiction in Nethack, NetHack, Cockatrice – I noticed that everyone in the LiveJournal dungeon meme was getting killed
by a cockatrice, and was going “This is why you don’t attack a cockatrice!” to people
- Neo-Citran – Would you believe that Wikipedia doesn’t have a page about Neo-Citran?
- Mister Boffo – Trying to find out if it still existed (yes)
- Love is… – Wondering how it could still exist. (Did you know that it has separate people doing the writing and the art?)
- List of
Peter Griffin’s jobs – Someone on IRC asked. Wikipedia knew.
- Yap – Giant coins.
There’s one at the currency museum here in Ottawa.
- Flint glass, Crown_glass_(optics), Zeiss_Tessar, F-number, Canon_Digital_IXUS, Memory_Stick – Buying a new camera tomorrow!
- Apophenia, Pareidolia, Shadow people – I can’t remember where shadow people came up. Some blog. Paraidolia, an apophenia, is one explanation.
- Fishing Cat – From this mefi post; these Russian folks have a pet fishing cat.
- Ideomotor effect – from an Ask Metafilter discussion about Ouija boards.
- Autorotation – Someone complained that this article was inaccessble. Someone else fixed it.
- Eschatology of Jehovah’s Witnesses, Legal_instruments_of_Jehovah’s_Witnesses, Jehovah’s_Witnesses – Fact-checking for an offhand joke about Insomnia being the Charles Russell of Livejournal.
- Dalmatia – Where do Dalmatians come from?
- Boeing 767, Zoom_Airlines – We head to Paris
in less than two weeks!
- Sumer is Icumen In – Fact-checking for an offhand joke on IRC.
- Origin of life, Primordial_sea – Verifying that the production of organic molecules from inorganic had been reproduced in laboratory conditions.
- Zeno’s paradoxes, Proof_that_0.999…_equals_1 – Some people refuse to accept that 0.999… = 1.
- Electric Slide, Hustle_(dance) – A dumb
commercial suggested that knowing one or the other places you in a particular age group, so I checked dates. Still not sure, but I’d say “doubtful”.
- Dutch people, Dutch, Netherlands, Holland – Looking up the history of all of these words about the Dutch.
- SunOS –
Fact-checking before I explain to someone that I don’t know
SunOS-specific stuff because I was still in grade school when it was
current, and would they consider upgrading to Solaris sometime soon
- Carbonate – Candice and I couldn’t remember what HCO3 was. Duh.